24 Oct Rice Noodle and Vegetable Ramen with Tofu
What goes in the soup:
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 10 shiitake mushrooms
- 3 scallions chopped
- 2 handfuls baby spinach and/or 2-3 baby bok choy, chopped
- 7 oz firm organic tofu, cut into small squares
- 1 T toasted sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1- 2” piece fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cups chicken or veg stock
- 2 T tamari
- 1 pkg organic millet & brown rice ramen (we use Lotus Foods from Thrive Market)
- Hot pepper flakes (to taste)
How to put it together:
- Prepare 1-2 cakes of noodles (you choose how noodle-y you want your soup) as per package instructs and set aside.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Once hot, add oil, onion, garlic and ginger. Sauté, stirring occasionally for 5-6 minutes until onions develop dark edges.
- Add 1 cup of the broth to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Use a whisk (or wooden spoon) to scrape up any bits that may have stuck to the bottom to enhance the flavor of the broth.
- Add tofu and simmer for 2-3 minutes for it to absorb flavors.
- Add remaining 3 cups broth, tamari and mushrooms – stir.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer on low for at least 1 hour, up to 2-3, stirring occasionally. The longer it cooks, the more the flavor will deepen and develop.
- Taste broth and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more tamari sauce or sesame oil if desired.
- Add spinach and/or bok choy and scallions, stir for a minute, add cooked ramen and serve.