17 Feb carrot coconut ginger soup
carrot coconut ginger soup
It’s one of our favorite recipes from our nourish – a community supported cookbook
I’ll never tire of the sweet and pungent flavors of carrot ginger soup and this unique recipe gives it a flare. Ginger is a good digestive aid, anti-inflammatory (helps reduce arthritic pain and increase mobility), reduces gas and motion sickness. Casey pairs this nourishing soup with his yummy crab salad.
gluten free, vegan
part 1: sauté garlic and ginger
- 2t coconut oil
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2t fresh ginger, grated
- Heat oil in a medium size soup pot on medium high flame.
- When the oil is hot add garlic and ginger.
- Stir and cook until garlic is golden.
part 2: add veggies
- 1 medium size onion, cut in 8ths
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and sliced
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, sweet potato and cook for 5-10 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
part 3: add flavor
- 1 t turmeric
- 2 star anise or 2 t anise seed
- 2 c coconut milk
- 6 c vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 lemongrass stalk, halved
- Add turmeric and star anise and continue to stir and cook for 1 min.
- Add the coconut milk, stock, and lemon grass.
- Simmer until vegetables are very soft – 30 minutes to one hour.
- Remove lemongrass and let the soup cool slightly before blending.
- In batches, blend the soup until smooth. Make sure to pulse to prevent splattering and burning yourself. (or use an immersion blender).
part 4: top and plate
- Cilantro, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- Add a little bit of honey to sweeten the soup (optional)
- When finished blending, season with salt, pepper, cilantro, and lemon juice (plus honey if using).
Additional Note: If the soup is too thin, reduce over medium heat until desired consistency. If it is too thick, thin out with stock or water and adjust the seasoning.